US Army Customer Successes
Binary has been supporting the US Army with financial management services, GFEBS support, cost management and GFEBS training, and IT consulting since the company inception. Binary has supported the Army on GFEBS deployment since 2005, and trained thousands of users and financial managers to leverage the powerful ERP system to support mission success. Working with many commands, support organizations, and education institutions, Binary consistently produces outcomes quickly and cost-effectively for the Army. Additionally, Binary has supported the Army Chief Information Officer (CIO)/G-6 by providing knowledge management, policy, governance, acquisition oversight, portfolio management, program management, and human resources support.
Army PM GFEBS / Army PEO EIS
The Program Officer, GFEBS is a component of the Army PEO-EIS tasked with developing a common system for providing one authoritative source of the Army's financial management information. The system is a web-based enterprise resource planning (ERP) solution that leverages commercial off-the-shelf (COTS) business enterprise software (SAP) to enable the Army to compile and share accurate, up-to-date financial and accounting data across the service. Binary's team servesas the program management office (PMO) contractor to support the management and oversight requirements for the program. Binary has assisted the PMO GFEBS since 2005 to successfully deploy the system worldwide. GFEBS is currently 96.7% substantially compliant with FFMIA, 90% compliant with BEA, and 96.8% compliant with SFIS.
Binary provides expert functional, technical, compliance, security, data management and business process reengineering services to the PMO. Binary Team’s knowledge, skills, and expertise on GFEBS ensured successful deployment of GFEBS worldwide to 53,000 users, replacing legacy accounting and financial management systems. Results included
- Improved financial operations and visibility for effective financial & cost management
- Improved visibility of Property, Plant, and Equipment
- Inter-system efficiencies and data quality through standardization, process reengineering and data validation
- Binary was awarded the GFEBS PMO re-compete Amendment 6 for project management support because of outcomes delivered quickly and cost effectively
Program Executive Officer Enterprise Information Systems (PEO EIS), PM DOD Biometrics
Binary provided Project Management, Training Planning and Oversight, Business Operations, Life Cycle Management, Administrative Assistance, Strategic Communications/Outreach, Logistics Support, Engineering Services (Test & Evaluation and Quality Assurance), and Information Assurance to support the mission and vision of the DoD enterprise biometrics program.
The PM for DOD Biometrics was chartered by the Assistant Secretary of the Army for Acquisition Logistics & Technology (ASA(ALT)), under the PEO EIS to manage the planning, programming, acquisition, development, test, implementation and logistic support of several Quick Reaction Capability (QRC) biometric products/systems and to manage material development of an enterprise biometrics infrastructure and tactical biometric collection capability through a program of record for the DOD Biometrics. Binary assisted with these efforts under the prime contract held by CACI.
Army PM J-AIT
Binary provided consulting services to assist PM J-AIT in planning, designing and implementing an enterprise IV&V function which included policies and procedures relative to IV&V program governance, governance and protocols for post award acceptance testing for approval, as well as product life cycle (maintenance and sustainment through disposition) IV&V and testing support, IV&V Concept of Operations (CONOPS), IV&V management, and other related tasks.
Army Financial Management (ASA FM&C)
Contracted to provide end-to-end business processes for the Army, Binary’s Outcome Driven Enterprise Approach™ identified nine (9) critical requirements needed for functionality (out of possible hundreds) for the Procure to Pay (P2P) Pilot program. Binary Team performed data cleansing and validation expertise for pre-and-post information migration. Successful pilot results included
- Reduced errors and manual intervention significantly
- Large reduction in interest penalties paid to contractors
- More accurate and timely financial reporting and cash management
Army Financial Management
Binary completed a Data Reconversion project for the Property Book Usage Supply Enhancement (PBUSE) Asset Management system, enabling Army to complete financial and audit readiness reporting. Binary team’s subject matter expertise of Army business and financial operations, in-depth expertise of GFEBS, specialized cost management qualifications and applying Binary’s Outcome Driven Enterprise Approach™ quickly identified root causes and a rapid solution to ready and validate data across systems and organizations.
- Successfully completed reconversion of capital asset data (waves 0 – 8b) into GFEBS and standardized asset management coding across G-Army and other ERP/Asset Management systems, enabling Army to account for all equipment assets and properly report on value and depreciation
- Provided Delivery Excellence – design/ test/ implementation on-time, within budget
Army Financial Management School and Soldier Support Institute Course Development and Delivery
Binary develops and delivers cost management training for FMS, enabling Army trained personnel to make better resource-informed decisions, identify cost efficiencies, and produce auditable financial statements within their organizations. Binary Team has in-depth knowledge of Army/DoD business & financial operations, hands-on expertise of GFEBS and specialized cost accounting / cost management qualifications.
Binary has supported the FMS to prepare the FM Community and provides the following benefits:
- Institutional training supports Army’s cost management efforts to improve financial stewardship and inculcate cost-informed decision making across the Army Enterprise.
- A cost management training curriculum that incorporates progressive and sequential training methodologies using practical application and GFEBS cost management tools
- Improved learning, retention and GFEBS adoption rates across the Army
Binary’s FM training successes include:
Binary trained 350+ managers across the Army within one year to become Assistants to the Commander of the Enterprise (ACE’s), skills needed to inculcate a cost culture and meet audit requirements. Preparing financial and resource managers to make resource-informed decisions that considers cost up front, and ensures accurate, reliable, and timely financial management reporting and audit readiness, Binary is preparing the Army to transform to a Cost Managed Enterprise™.
Binary developed and delivers cost management and GFEBS training and education at FMS in which leaders and financial managers better understand the full cost of the capabilities and integrate cost considerations into their planning and decision-making. Binary’s training and education experts designed and delivered three cost management, instructor-led courses:
- Principles of Cost Analysis and Management (PCAM) - introductory course on accounting and cost management
- Intermediate Cost Analysis and Management (ICAM) - the second course in the Accounting and Cost Management process
- The General Funds Enterprise Business System (GFEBS) Cost Management Course - allows students to take all principles, concepts, and theories to actual application in GFEBS
In addition to the instructor-led courses conducted at FMS, Binary provides several training options for Army and DoD customers to better leverage their enterprise resource planning systems and apply effective cost management practices:
- Mobile and Over-the-Shoulder training customized to the organization’s needs
- Innovative digital learning applications
- Updated Training Environment Delivery (TED) simulation to mirror GFEBS production system
- Extensive Reach back / Help desk support
Governance, Acquisition, and Chief Knowledge Office Directorate
The Chief Information Officer (CIO) of the Army/G-6 current efforts to progress through the Army Transformation Initiative to field a modernized, dominant force, recognize that to achieve this state the force must be equipped to be multifaceted, network-centric, and knowledge-based with near-certain understanding of the battlespace. IT and Knowledge Management (KM) are key enablers in transforming the Army into a network-centric, knowledge-based force. Binary supports the Office of the Army CIO/G-6 in developing their IT transformation plan to enable the Army as an enterprise to achieve greater efficiencies and increased effectiveness across mission areas and functional communities.
The Army’s Knowledge Management (AKM) Strategic Plan and an AKM Implementation Plan goals are:
- Adopt governance and cultural changes to become a knowledge-based organization.
- Integrate KM concepts and best practices into Army processes to improve performance.
- Manage the infostructure as an enterprise to enhance capabilities and efficiencies.
- Institutionalize AKO as the enterprise portal to provide universal, secure access for the entire Army.
- Harness human capital for the knowledge-based organization.
To achieve these goals, Binary provided a range of program management and technical support services to the CIO/G-6 GAC&KO Directorate, including accurate documentation, agile support of IT Portfolio Management efforts, stellar support of human capital management efforts for the career program 34 (CP-34), and development of the IT Project Management Plan.
The outcomes of theses task activities were captured in products such as strategic plans, feasibility analyses, business case proposals, research reports, program management plans, requirements analyses, implementation strategies, feasibility studies, capability assessments, business process reengineering reports, meeting agendas/minutes, briefings, and after-action reports.
Binary also provided the following support to the CIO/G6:
- Policy, governance, technical, analytical, strategic planning, formulation of IT strategies, research and analytical support, and administrative expertise to enable the CIO/G-6 to plan and implement mission critical programs in a consistent and collaborative manner. Strategic planning and strategy development were also provided to enable the Army to respond to any emergent Army IT requirements related to the Army’s role in Homeland Security and the global war on terrorism.
- Technology program management and support for a vast number of technology platforms including IM/IT assessments, digital library development, biometrics, public key infrastructure, smart card technologies, wireless/mobile technologies, enterprise architecture development, automated command and control systems, modeling and simulation, collaboration tools development, computer-based training, database decision support tools, information assurance security capabilities, system administration, web-enabled applications development, software development, software engineering/requirements development, active directory, Windows 2000 development, database development, risk management, and e-business capabilities.
- Process improvement support in response to major organizational changes associated with Army Transformation, including Development, analysis, and re-engineering of mission critical processes; Workforce/human resource organizational development; Organizational communications; Training and education; Economic, budgetary, and financial services and analyses; Development, integration, monitoring, and analysis of related performance measures.
- Binary provided program administrative services for several programs.
- Binary provided subject matter experts knowledgeable in Federal and Department of Defense (DoD) program management practices and policies; DoD fiscal policy; strategic planning of DoD IT programs; business case analysis; KM and related technology; knowledge, intellectual capital, content, and learning assets; communities of practices and knowledge markets; and best practices, approaches and methods for supporting knowledge requirements.
Army CIO/G-6 Cyber Directorate
The CIO/G-6 Cyber Directorate’s goal is to secure and protect the Army’s network, transport systems, and applications or situational awareness enablers. The Army Chief Information Officer (CIO)/G6, through its Cyber Directorate is committed to ensuring that all Army battle command information technology information assurance capabilities are synchronized, integrated, and meets the growing technological demands of its highly mobile and lethal fighting force.
Binary supported the HQDA CIO/G6 Cyber Directorate in their integration efforts across the Federal, DoD, Joint, and Army staffs to provide policy, oversight, and guidance that will enable information dominance, create and maintain a secure information environment, and ensure the confidentiality, integrity, authentication, availability and non-repudiation of the warfighter's data.
Support included policy development and support, information assurance, network operations and interoperability across the Army, in systems, network, analytical and administrative areas. Binary supported many departments with their mission-critical initiatives:
- DoD Enterprise-Wide Information Assurance (IA) initiatives, including Enterprise Email, Enterprise Directory Services and Attributes (EDSA), NETOPs, and the management and tracking of SMS Projects and AKO/SSO Plans of Actions and Milestones.
- MDEP Management Division responsible for plans, programs, budgets and execution of resources required to sustain the Army Information Assurance/Cyber program, providing budget and financial support.
- Initiatives across the Army for both the generating and operating force in the areas of Information Assurance, Network Operations and development of policies for same and the development of strategic plans and objectives to effectively implement DoD, NSA, Joint and Army IA goals and initiatives in the out years.
- Identity Management Directorate in the areas of Army Communications Security, including Cryptographic Modernization, Key Management Infrastructure (KMI), Common Access Card (CAC) and Public Key Infrastructure (PKI).
- Binary assisted with DOTMLPF findings to ensure that “gaps” in IA capabilities were fully documented for review and possible resolution by affected stakeholders.
CIO/G6 Enterprise Architecture Support Services Project
The CIO/G6 leads the LandWarNet transformation to deliver timely, trusted, and shared information. Within the CIO/G6 organization is the Army Architecture Integration Cell (AAIC). The AAIC is responsible for providing interoperability with Joint, Interagency, and Multi-national coalition forces’ battle command systems, as well as field battle command capabilities that support all echelons of command. Enterprise Integration is high on the list of AAIC objectives.
The Defense CBRNE Response Forces’ (DCRF) primary role when responding to a Chemical, Biological, Radiological, Nuclear and High Yield Explosive event is to support designated Federal Agencies and augment the consequence management efforts. Within the context of the CIO/G6 mission, the AAIC supports an evolving, integrated architecture in support of the DoD’s CBRNE mission.
Under this Task Order, Binary’s Enterprise Architects developed Enterprise Architecture viewpoints and documentation for the CIO/G-6 AAIC, including the creation of “To-Be” integrated artifacts and the development of “Fit-for-Purpose” architecture products in accordance with DoDAF 2.0 for specific DCRF mission scenarios. Including the development of Operational, Systems and Standards architecture viewpoints.
Applying our Outcome Driven Enterprise Approach, Binary was able to deliver documented viewpoints constituting a complete architecture in accordance with the latest DoD Architecture Framework and reflect the most current appropriate elements of the Joint Mission Essential Task List (JMETL) and the Joint Mission Essential Equipment List (JMEEL), quickly and cost-effectively.
Army 20th Support Command
Binary supported the 20th Support Command’s Hot Zone detection and disarmament of nuclear, biological and weapons of mass destruction program, to transform from a two-conflict scenario to multiple conflicts and maintain readiness status. There was no increase in funding for additional SATCOM bandwidth requirements and involved complex communication systems requirements.
Binary’s Outcome Driven Enterprise Approach™ was applied to quickly determine
- Disruption of current landscape
- Future relevant states
- Targeted & timely deliverables
Results included a $12M first year reduction in SATCOM bandwidth fees and $48M in cost savings for the five year budget cycle, with no reduction in capabilities.
Army Corps of Engineers
USACE Information Assurance Program
Binary supports the Information Assurance (IA) program at the Office of the CIO at the US Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) Headquarters by providing a variety of technical assistance and review support functions that address USACE Communication and Security issues.Binary supports USACE to provide oversight, direction, and leverage IT to optimize the Corps’ mission effectiveness and stewardship of corporate information resources. Binary’s expert knowledge of DoD, Army and USACE security policies, coupled with Binary Group’s Design for Deployability™ methodology providing a structured approach that integrates security processes with systems architecture and systems engineering to reduce the time and cost of bringing systems on line and completing compliance reporting, resulted in
- Improved accounting operations to better manage costs
- Improved inter-system efficiencies and data quality
- Reduced cost of delivered services
USACE Enterprise Architecture Project
USACE project goal was to sustain the USACE Enterprise Architecture in accordance with the Federal Enterprise Architecture and to provide the necessary Frameworks as required. Binary Group supported USACE in providing Enterprise Architecture Services, including
- Developing Integrated Mission/Functional Architecture Products and Performing Architecture Assessment and Analysis
- Performing Governance and Oversight to the CeA Program
- Providing Capital Planning and Investment Control/Management (CPIC/CPIM) Support
Walter Reed Army Institute of Research (WRAIR)
Using its vast experiential FM Ecosystem™, Binary Group provides comprehensive GFEBS "Over the Shoulder" training support, and expert GFEBS Help Desk support for Walter Reed Army Institute of Research's financial management operations.team.
Army Transportation Information Systems (TIS)
Binary had a key role in the modernization and web-enablement of a Joint Services' transportation system, through adoption of the best commercial business practice and the associated commercial information that supports the processes of mobility, sustainability, and automating transportation planning. Established "to-be" service oriented architecture and developed migration strategy from proprietary client server architecture. Developed compliance documents and matrices for GIG/NCES and emerging Army/DoD enterprise architectures. Provided analysis of systems architecture for data calls from Army and DoD. Developed compliance documents of entire system for JTA and NCOW reference model. Developed DoDAF SVs to tied OVs to existing and future system architectures.
Army National Guard Bureau RCAS
Binary supported the Bureau's CIO in the acquisition of a wide range of advanced information technology products, services, and solutions under the Advanced Information Technology Services (AITS) procurement, including data management and database architecture support.
Army PM FCS
Binary reviewed documentation and DOD policies that impact Future Combat Systems (FCS) program and provided relevant comments/feedback in support of the program. Researched and reviewed evolving DoD, ASD, CIO G6 Network-Centric (NC) related policies for collaboration with FCS team and CIO G6 staff. Binary Team was the on-site PM’s liaison support to CIO G6, ASAALT, ASD NII and DISA. Binary also provided System Engineering Independent Verification & Validation (IV&V).