We help build a stronger nation by supporting
a wide range of Federal organizations.
Data Analytics/BI with an Outcome Driven Approach
NASA HQ Information Technology and Communications Division (ITCD), HQ CIO
NASA HQ CIO (ITCD) wanted to enhance visibility into their IT application portfolio and its viability to drive performance, particularly application development. The goal was to ultimately optimize the investment in BI service acquisitions and allow leadership to make ROI trade-offs, increase budget visibility, and enable long-term forecasting. The organization has previously been using a combination of legacy and streamlining plans and was looking for a new and more agile approach to enterprise architecture.
NASA ITCD’s data collection and dissemination processes was neither automated nor aligned. Actionable metrics had not yet been defined. Teams were working on components but without an overall objectives-based roadmap
In addition, NASA ITCD had acquired a business intelligence tool suite, including dashboard functionality, but the group was looking for high-level guidance on how to proceed forward in optimizing their contracted services portfolio and deriving tangible value from the large investment. Due mainly to the complexity of the initiative, the processes, and number of stakeholders (including the CIO organization, enterprise stakeholders, contractors, and contracting communities), there was inadequate alignment around shared outcomes.
The NASA HQ CTO needed a different approach to tackle this complex initiative quickly and cost-effectively. Binary’s Outcome Driven Enterprise Approach™, a rapid and agile planning and implementation methodology, was used to address the HQ CTO’s challenges and provide a way forward to gain the performance visibility needed. Binary’s approach focuses on delivering incremental “quick strike” results, accelerating progress towards:
- Visualization of Application Development life cycle status/metrics
- Development of service acquisition plans
- Improved IT governance and accountability
- On-demand/real-time dissemination of empirical data.
- Demonstrated ability to make quicker decisions based on changing business needs, customer satisfaction, resourcing, and strategic direction.
Binary’s ODEA™ delivered value and results for NASA ITCD quickly including
- The common outcomes for stakeholders and mission success quickly identified, including accountability and a timeline to complete the initiative.
- Enhanced stakeholder alignment and confidence in a way forward.
Separate the ‘News from the Noise’
Capability areas involved in assessing application development performance were identified, and driven down to metrics in each of those areas to help NASA ITCD understand the capabilities and inter-dependencies.
- The questions and associated metrics to drive and monitor those outcomes were identified.
- These will facilitate a collaboration with all the stakeholders to prioritize the most important metrics through balancing level of effort vs. value (a ‘just enough’ approach).
Accelerating the BI Initiative
- The analytics for developing a BI dashboard roadmap have been sequenced and prioritized.
- Achievable milestones and tasks to get to a dashboard that provides visibility into application development was defined.
Department of Energy
Binary worked with the DOE on an Enterprise Architecture project for their Enterprise Grants Management System.
Environmental Protection Agency - CIO Office
Binary supported the EPA with R&D Service-Oriented Architecture (SOA) support services. Binary reviewed emerging technologies and developed plan to take existing technologies to the Cloud and provided Enterprise Architecture strategic planning and acquisition support. Binary also worked on a Central Data Exchange (CDX) project.